82-year-old Algerian President, Abdelaziz Bouteflika who has not been seen in public since 2013 after suffering a stroke has confirmed that he would be seeking for his fifth term despite massive protest which rocked the country following his reelection bid.
Although, he stated that, this time he will not serve a full term.
In a letter he said if he won April’s vote he would oversee a national dialogue leading to fresh elections that he would not contest BBC.com reports.
According to reports,Bouteflika has rarely been seen in public since suffering a stroke in 2013.
Sunday saw new protests as a midnight deadline loomed for candidates to register. By nightfall young people were again marching in the capital Algiers despite the president’s offer.
Mr Bouteflika’s campaign manager submitted papers on behalf of the ailing president, who is undergoing medical treatment in Switzerland.
The electoral commission has said candidates need to submit them in person, but the Constitutional Council ruled that he did not have to be physically present.
Should he be re-elected. Mr Bouteflika said he would hold an “inclusive national conference” followed by a vote to determine the next president.
He said he would not run again and acknowledged the protests that have rocked Algeria.
“I listened and heard the heartfelt cry of protesters and in particular of the thousands of youth who asked me about the future of our country,” the letter said, read by a presenter on ENTV.
“These youth express an understandable concern about the uncertainties they face. I have the duty and will to appease the hearts and spirits of my compatriots.”
So far, six other candidates have formally registered, among them
1. A retired general, Ali Ghediri, who has promised to bring “change” to Algeria.
2.Businessman Rachid Nekkaz,
Two opposition parties, the Labour Party, and the Islamist Movement of Society for Peace, have said they will boycott the election.
4. Ali Benflis