Benue news

Jime Vs Ortom: Update From Benue Election Tribunal As INEC fails to Defend Ortom’s Victory

on

Jime Vs Ortom: Update From Benue Election Tribunal As INEC fails to Defend Ortom's Victory

By Denen Achussah

THE Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has told the Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Makurdi, the Benue State capital that “due to logistical challenges,” it will be unable to open defence.

The national electoral body was due to open defence today in a petition filed by Emmanuel Jime of APC challenging the return of Samuel Ortom of PDP as Benue State Governor.

However, INEC lead counsel OEB Offiong SAN at the commencement of proceedings moved the Honourable Tribunal to adjourn the matter to 15th August, 2019 for defence.

“My Lords, the matter was fixed for the 1st Respondent (INEC) to open defence. Regretably, due to logistical challenges, we are unable to open today.

READ MORE:   FULANI VS HERDSMEN: How MAFO'S Protest Against Fulani Invasion was Stopped in Makurdi...

“We have reached a consensus (with my brothers of the inner Bar for the 2nd and 3rd Respondents and the petitioners) that the matter be adjourned to Thursday. I’ve given them my undertaking, that on that day we will open and close our case.

“In the light of that we are requesting the Honourable Tribunal to adjourn the matter to 15th August, 2019.”

Chief EK Ashiekaa SAN, Chief Chris Uche SAN and Kehinde Eleja SAN, who appeared respectively for 2nd Respondent (Ortom), 3rd Respondent (PDP), the Petitioners (Jime/APC) all gave their consent to the request by INEC’s counsel.

READ MORE:   Photos Of BSU Graduate , Jacob Kaapela Burnt To Death In ''Jungle Justice Style'' In Benue State

Chief Uche told the Honourable Tribunal: “I stand to confirm the position as stated by my learned brother silk for the 1st Respondent Chief Offiong. We have also agreed among ourselves, that cognisance of the timelines for various steps by the parties and also for the Honourable Tribunal to perform its own statutory responsibilitis in the matter in moving forward in due course, make consequential adjustments to timelines previously agreed upon.

“And we have all agreed to come back on 15th August, 2019, after the Sallah holiday to continue the proceedings subject to the convenience of Your Lordships.”

READ MORE:   INEC Reschedules Elections in Gwer, Gboko and Tarka Local In Benue State

Eleja SAN, confirmed on behalf of the petitioners that “parties have agreed to come back next Thursday for the 1st Respondent to present his case.”

Chairman of the Tribunal Honourable Justice Henry A. Olusiyi, in his ruling granted the request as prayed.

“We are satisfied with adjustment of time to allow the Tribunal sufficient time to prepare its decision. The application for extension of time is hereby granted.

“This petition is adjourned to 15th August, 2019 to enable the 1st Respondent open defence,” Justice Olusiyi held.

Comments

comments

About Queen Doosh

I am Queen Winifred Dooshima. A graduate of Library and Information Science, in both first and second degree. I am spontaneous and straightforward. A business woman par-excellence. Owner of queendoosh.com/queendoosh.co blog which is primarily focused with creating and disseminating credible information in this era of Information explosion. Our news covers both Local and International news. My goal is to succeed!

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *