Politics

How Osinbajo failed to stop sacking of his aides

on

How Osinbajo failed to delay sacking of his aides

Yesterday, it was announced that President Muhamadu Buhari had sacked 35 personal aide to the Vice-President ,Yemi Osinbajo.

PUNCH reports that,Osinbajo moves to delay the sacking of his aides were not successful as planned.

Daily Nigerian, had earlier on Wednesday reported that about 35 of the aides were sacked but it was still not confirmed.

It was learnt that the VP’s office had sought to delay the matter till the return of President Muhammadu Buhari to the country from London on November 17.

The delay was said to have been sought to allow the VP discuss the issue with the President, but the Presidency reportedly went ahead to effect the sacking spree.

“There was an intervention for a delay, but the decision was effected while the President has yet to return (to the country),” a source said.

The source claimed the Chief of Staff to the President, Mr Abba Kyari, effected the action.

READ MORE:   Emmanuel Jime Speaks On Benue's Inconclusive Election

One of the affected aides was said to have been denied clearance to access the Villa on Wednesday from the Pilot Gate of the Presidential Villa.

Osinbajo, it was learnt, had allegedly more aides than Buhari, some of whom were appointed while he was the acting President when Buhari was in London in 2017.

A top source at the Presidency said;

“It is true that many of VP’s aides were given termination letters. However, I cannot confirm the exact number because it was not done in public. But you know it is political.

“Some of those dismissed are those who had been made redundant since the VP’s duties have been reduced and some of the social investment programmes have been put under other ministries.”

Another source said the President was not aware of the sacking of the VP’s aides, saying it was the handiwork of the cabal in the Presidency.

READ MORE:   Read Lawan's powerful message to Omo-Agege

Aides to Osinbajo as of 2017, according to Premium Times, were about 52 while those of the President were 25.

However, other appointments were said to have been made for Osinbajo which were never made public.

Some of the aides, it was learnt, were being paid by donor agencies and not directly by the Federal Government.

The President also appointed four more aides for Osinbajo in August 2019.

They are Ahmad Zakari (Special Adviser on Infrastructure), Obafela Bank-Olemoh (Senior Special Assistant on Education Interventions), Louis Odion (Senior Technical Assistant on Print Media) and Ajuri Ngelale (Senior Special Assistant for Public Affairs).

READ MORE:   Senator takes action after he's accused of conniving with VP Osinbajo to kill Buhari

The Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the President, Mr Garba Shehu, whle reacting to the news said,

“The SGF has responsibility for the issuance of letters of appointment, and where the need arises, sack letters as well.”

But the Director of Information, Office of the SGF, Willie Bassey, told one of our correspondents on the telephone that he was not aware of the sacking.

“I am not aware of any letter. I am hearing such thing from you for the first time. I am not aware of it,” he said.

The Senior Special Assistant to the VP on Media and Publicity, Laolu Akande, did not respond to enquiries by the newspaper.

Comments

comments

About Queen Doosh

I am Queen Winifred Dooshima. A graduate of Library and Information Science, in both first and second degree. I am spontaneous and straightforward. A business woman par-excellence. Owner of queendoosh.com/queendoosh.co blog which is primarily focused with creating and disseminating credible information in this era of Information explosion. Our news covers both Local and International news. My goal is to succeed!

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *